Pachuca is part of one of the most important mining centers of Mexico, and even though the productive activity has decreased in the last decades, any mention of the city is strongly linked with mining. It´s narrow steep streets and arid environment, but still attractive, send us to the ancient mining settlements of the colonial Mexico.
In a brief historical synthesis it can be distinguish four stages in the life of the university. During the first stage, which covers from 1869 to 1911, highlights the following facts: the school was founded in the city of Pachuca on February of 1869 with the name of “Literary Institute and School of Arts and Crafts “, and by initiative of a group of professionals led by Don Agustín Cárdenas, Dr. Miguel Varela and Dr. Marcelino Guerrero. Days after, the governor Juan C. Doria turned it into an official organism and inaugurated it on March 3rd.
It´s first internal regulation was issued on 1872, it was inspired on the ideas of the positive philosophy and from then emerge the motto “Amor, Orden y Progreso” (Love, Order and Progress), that today identifies the Hidalgo University. On 1875 the school, that worked in a rented house on Allende´s Street, was transferred to the building of the hospital San Juan de Dios, and founded to the West of Pachuca on 1725 and abandoned by the “Juaninos” on 1836, and that today is the main building of the Abasolo Street.